Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Yes, I Signed Up For The ST:O Beta

Is it STO or ST:O? I had to sell out to a twitter/blogger by twittering his "party line" to get the beta key. Then I had to spend an entire day, well 12 hours downloading the file on my crappy Acer Netbook. Nice to know that thing was good for something. An awful lot to go through. I started it before I left for work and it didn't finish until way after bedtime. Plus I had to install BootCamp & Windows XP on my beautiful 13 inch MacBook Pro just to be able to play.

I created a character before heading to bed. The next morning I played a little more, it was very intriguing and I can see the possibilities. I was sad, because I didn't want to like it. I play a little MMORPG called World of Warcraft and I also do a little podcast for that game. The thought of taking on another MMORPG scared me, and the thought of leaving WoW scared me even more.

1 comment:

  1. My day and a half with the beta intrigued me enough to give the game a shake once it goes live. It's definitely very rough around the edges and not all that intuitive for a newcomer to the MMO scene.

    I was thinking about trying to get my dad into STO considering how much of a Trekkie he his, but he is no gamer and this game would not be something I'd recommend to a non-mmo player let alone a non-gamer.

    Another issue that caused me a bit of worry was how frequently the servers would buckle and crash under the stress they were put under. This isn't Cryptic's first foray into the MMO scene and they should have expected drastically higher numbers for STO than even Champion's Online.

    But with the missteps of the beta, there is a LOT of potential for the game. I only hope that the launch isn't a complete disaster and this game is given some time and love.

    For the horde... er I mean for the Federation?

    ReplyDelete