Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ctrl Alt Trek Episode 005 - STO for Macs, Yea!!

Ctrl Alt Trek Episode 005 - STO for Macs, Yea!!

Aprillian

http://tinyurl.com/yalw9a2 Here's the weird thing: Andrew Koenig missing since 2/14 in Vancouver. PLS RT: http://bit.ly/a5zu2f
Vrishna


Bouvi (bouvitrek@gmail.com)

I made Captain and picked up my Exploration Cruiser. Basically the Enterprise-D model with some modifications of course. Last time we talked about flight speeds during combat. Flying the Exploration Cruiser is way different. I found that 25% thrust works best for me. Anything above that and my turning arc was too wide. It is insane how much damage I can do.

Episode called Trapped I was scanning some debris fields when a signularity opened up pulling me into a Pocket Universe a Hirogen Trap. It was sooooo cooollll.

When you play the game what does everyone listen to music wise?

Emails

Email A from Snic

Hey guys

I was going to say "I am new to Star Trek Online" but then I realized -
EVERYONE is new to STO. I was wondering if you could suggest a good online
guide for the game? I started playing Saturday night and found parts of it
very confusing. As I have listened to your podcast I noticed you all seem
to be catching on pretty fast. I have played WOW since the final beta, so I
am not new to MMO mechanics. I'm just not finding STO as easy to learn as
WOW was. Ship flight especially. An example of this would be a rescue
mission I have been attempting. There are a ton of enemy ships and I am
destroyed every time I try to complete the mission. Are some of these
missions meant for groups and not solo?

This leads me to ask - Did you folks use an online guide or did you figure
everything out for yourselves by playing the game? If you are using a
guide, which one would you consider to be the most useful?

I think I may apply to your fleet - perhaps the best way to learn is by
playing with others.

Thanks for any help you can offer

I have a vulcan engineer named Snick and my ship is Timbucktoo.

On WOW my main is Snic and I play on Turalyon (80 gnome warlock).

Thanks for the great show!

Email B from Keelhaul

Howdy all. I've been a ctrl alt follower for sometime. I first started playing mmo's back when City of Heroes came out. I played that for quite awhile and made a lot of friends. WoW came out and I was instantly hooked.

Recently I found out a few of my old friends are playing STO and I would love one of the 10 day trial keys to give it a try and catch up with my buddies.

Keep up the good work and I think a show that breaks down the factions and playable races would be a good idea.

-Keelhaul

Email C from Tyson

The reason you are able to re-enter a system after exploring it is a timing issue. As far as I can tell there are set positions in the uncharted territories where anomolies spawn. If you are able to complete an explore after the zone respawns but before someone else grabs it you will exit your mission ontop of the refreshed anomoly.
-- Sent from my Palm Pre

Part 2
The reason parallels does not work, as well as pretty much every other
VM, does not have direct access to the video card. So all the 3D
acceleraton that the game relys on is unavailable. Booting into
windows with bootcamp or other multiboot tool will work because
windows becomes the host OS with full access to the hardware.

Email D from Kyle

Someone may have told you about this, but I thought I would drop you a note just in case.

In your last episode you commented that you haven't been able to play STO in Parallels. I can't get it you run in Parallels or VMware either, but it works great with the unsupported Crossover Games 8.2.0. It's great not having to boot into windows to play STO or WoW :)

Here's a link to more info about it: http://www.codeweavers.com/about/people/blogs/jwhite/2010/2/2/the-needs-of-the-one-

Kyle


Sent from my iPod

Guest
Thanks David

Tips
I have been asked by a few people what the 0 +1, -1 or whatever number means. It is the number that relates to your rank. A -8 means 8 ranks below you while a +2 means 2 ranks above. A 0 means even rank.

Hold down the Ctrl key when you buy an item and it buys it immediately with no prompting. Hopefully there will be a multi-buy option soon.

Stair from our fleet let us know that you can control your energy settings for Weapons, Shields, Engines and Aux via key commands. Very handy as it is easier than trying to adjust during a fight. I will have the how-to in our show notes.

Ok, the command for setting power lvls to keys is as follows

/bind genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_0
/bind genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_1
/bind genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_2
/bind genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_3

0=attack/weapons
1=defense/shield
2=speed/engines
3=aux/subsystems

enter the commands in the chat box, any channel
commands are toon specific, need to enter for each toon

The Engines Cannae’ Take It! a blog by BigBadB was recommend by one of our Fleeters ThinBluLine. There is an excellent article on Starship Weapons overviews. Check out the show notes for a link. http://theenginescannaetakeit.wordpress.com/articles-3/starship-weapons-overview/

Another tip from ThinBluLine - On the latest episode there was talk about Memory Alpha and banks at that location. You don't need the mats in your inventory, you can leave them in the banks and still craft. It recognizes you have them in the bank and uses them.

There are other links to guides on our forums. All listeners of Ctrl Alt Trek are invited to hang out in our forums. You do not have to be a member of our fleet. One thing to note we will not tolerate immature behavior or jabs at other forums members.

Seen quite a few people asking how to turn of a UI for a screenshot. There is no need when you use the printscreen button the UI is automatically hidden. There are more screenshot options. If you type /screen you should see a few. One for UI, jpg and more.

Emotes are done with /e.

News

Ctrl Alt Trek Fleet is growing. You can apply by going to our website at ctrlalttrek.com and click on the How to Join Us button.

Cryptic executive producer Craig Zinkievich has announced that they are starting work on our ship interiors and soon we will be able to explore our ships. However he stated it is one of those things they want to get perfect before introducing it to the players so how soon it will be out is anyone's guess.

The attempt at a world record in London was successful. Most people in Star Trek Costumes gathered at London’s Millenium Bridge on Valentine’s Day then ever before.

They pulled the exploit where you could change instances inside the Random Encounters to get a faster time or to jump in on a close to done encounter.

Caught a post on the forums from Cryptic in response to user generated content. Cryptic has been very intrigued by the idea of User Generated Content and there is a vision that what you are describing in this thread isn't too far off in the future. We are watching what other companies are doing with User Generated Missions very closely. http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=121714

dstahl on the forums says "We're absolutely reading these threads. We want to take the game in the direction that will bring less combat into the game. We are already discussing how to add more non-combat mission varieties as well as ways to bring the Federation game inline with Prime Directives. It is not going to happen overnight, and you are going to see Raid and high end combat game play happen first (as those elements were already in development as we were shipping) but more non-combative gameplay IS coming."

There is a bug that you can glitch all weapons into auto-fire by rapidly right-clicking the weapon icons. Set your front ones side by side and turn them both off. Then quick right click on each. It will take some time but it will eventually stick on. Same with rear weapons. Some are wondering if you could get banned by this. Zinc on the forums said "We're actively looking into opening up the auto-fire feature like you guys have been asking for. It'll probably be a little but before we release a solution though. We're currently not planning on fixing the multi auto-fire "bug" until we have a real solution. Don't worry, no banning."

No comments:

Post a Comment